Safe Valentine’s Day for Your Pets!

Love is in the air, and people everywhere will be sending flowers, chocolates, and presents galore to their loved ones and significant others! But have you stopped to wonder if the person you are gifting has pets at home that are a little too… mischievous?  From personal experience, I can tell you that animals are curious creatures, and some pets will stop at nothing to figure out what new toy or treat you have brought home (for them, in their minds). So, here are just a few tips and tricks to make this Valentine’s Day a safe one for your furry friends!

  • Make sure you double check your floral arrangements! There are many different species of flowers that are toxic to pets. Three major flowers to keep out of your bouquets are lilies, tulips, azaleas, and roses (thorns are a big issue). For a complete list of toxic plants, visit the website below, courtesy of the ASPCA.

  • Keep chocolates up and away from prying animal eyes! Most owners know that all forms of chocolate can be deadly and fatal to their pets. Also, there are also different treats that can contain xylitol which can cause a drop in blood pressure and affect your pets’ moods and potentially cause seizures. So, remember to indulge as much as you’d like, but be sure to clean up afterwards to ensure the safety of everyone in your household!
  • Alcohol in reasonable amounts is safe for us humans (excluding illnesses), but our pets are made differently than we are. Even small amounts of any type of alcohol can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and more deadly symptoms. Make sure to rinse out glasses, dispose of empty bottles, and clean up any spills before your pet gets to them.
  • Candles and incense are nice, relaxing mood-setters that are not seen as that dangerous to us… but playful pets are interested in the new smells and warmth of the fire. In a heartbeat, you could have an extremely chaotic situation on your hands. Make sure to place these items out of reach or somewhere you can monitor, and never leave them unattended if you worry your pet could encounter them!
  • Gifts aren’t just a fun thing for you to open. The wrapping paper and bows/strings are amazing new toys for young puppies and kittens, and even older pets find them entertaining! After unwrapping your gifts, dispose of the excess paper and strings so your pet doesn’t ingest anything and cause damage to their internal organs.